Monday, February 23, 2009

Setting Priorities

As 2008 was winding down, I took an assessment of my life to set my priorities.  I knew that my "jack of all trades" approach to life could not continue.  It's not the first time that I have pruned my lifestyle.  My strength and weakness is that I love to be involved in every opportunity and with all kinds of people.  If someone cries for help, my hand shoots into the air to volunteer. Blame it on my Quaker school education. Or my innate personality. I can't help myself.

However, I have a family that needs me to be present.  Living in the moment with them.  One of my fears is that I will wake up one day, my kids will be adults and they will say to me, "You were never around."

How do you prioritize your passions?

I did cut back on some of my extra-familial activities, but I'm still as busy as ever.  Even if I cut back on work and personal interests, there is a new demand for my time.  My busy-ness comes from supporting my kids' passions. Sports. Theater. All of the "enriching experiences" parents want their children to have.

Is this the meaning of being a parent? To become less so my kids can become more?

2 comments:

Nancy Near Philadelphia said...

First, J, I didn't know you had a blog! And what a fine one it is.

And you are doing the right thing. I'm sure you have heard many times, "They grow up so fast." My baby turned 30 this summer. How did that happen so fast? I remember when they were little, I had moments when I thought it would never end, that I would never be ME again. And then suddenly they were all gone! I don't regret the things I gave up for them and, in fact, when I look at the mother my daughter has become, I wonder if I did enough!

JennyBHammond said...

Nancy - thanks for your comment and encouragement! I'm new to the blogging world...and have not "pushed" people here yet...

So nice to have someone comment! Thanks for being the first:-)